The Head Chef creates and updates menus to maximize profits and minimize loss. Directs and oversees the operations of the kitchen(s), including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, cost control and sanitation. Being a Head Chef monitors customer satisfaction. Tests and develops recipes. In addition, Head Chef is responsible for supervising and training staff. Requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to top management. The Head Chef typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. May give input into developing the budget. Working as a Head Chef typically requires 3+ years of managerial experience. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments.
Head Chef Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Head Chef to join our team.
- Ensure that all crockery, cutlery, glassware and utensils are in perfect condition;
- Ensure that you and those assisting you, maintain the highest levels of hygiene at all times;
- Assist with menu planning and coming up with innovative ideas for new dishes;
- To ensure deep cleaning of the Kitchen, Dry store and Freezers on a weekly basis;
- To keep track of all food supplies & do all grocery ordering;
- To bake fresh breads, cookies, muffins, squares, and other delicious treats daily;
- Make every aspect of the guest’s experience interesting and alive;
- Interact with every guest in a friendly, professional, and caring manner, careful to treat each guest with the utmost respect and courtesy;
- Demonstrate high levels of energy and enthusiasm at all times and take the time to listen and understand the guests needs;
- To ensure a weekly and monthly stock take is completed.
- Knowledge of HR – re policy and procedure control;
- Briefing General Manager;
- Staff Training;
- Can take charge of disciplinary actions in the kitchen;
- Excellent control of food cost, wastage, and kitchen preparation;
- Experience in lodges (4 or 5 star) would be a plus;
- contactable references;
- Culinary qualification from a recognized institution;
- General kitchen management;
- Functions and events catering experience;
- Needs to have excellent management skills with produce, orders with being in a slightly remote;
- Food preparation, from conception to execution;
- Can handle extremely high turnover services and run the pass in a controlled fashion;
- Can handle constructive criticism;
- Can work together with the GM and Owner regarding the menu.