The Pastry Sous Chef is responsible for the production and presentation of pastries and other baked goods. Assists the Executive Pastry Chef in the daily activities of the kitchen, including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, and cost control. Being a Pastry Sous Chef requires 4-6 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Oversees the activities of the pastry staff in the absence of the Executive Pastry Chef. In addition, Pastry Sous Chef requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations. May require a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to an Executive Pastry Chef. The Pastry Sous Chef supervises a small group of para-professional staff in an organization characterized by highly transactional or repetitive processes. Contributes to the development of processes and procedures. Working as a Pastry Sous Chef typically requires 3 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. Thorough knowledge of functional area under supervision.
Pastry Sous Chef Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Pastry Sous Chef to join our team.
- Guide and motivate pastry personnel to work more efficiently;
- Prepare a wide variety of goods;
- Ensure all personnel adhere to culinary standards and regulations;
- Check quality of material and condition of equipment and devices used for baking;
- Monitor stocks for baking ingredients and make appropriate orders within budget;
- To be innovative, creative, detailed orientated, have an artistic eye and also the ability to lead staff;
- Assist head chef with pricing of pastry menu items;
- Identify staffing needs and help recruit and train existing and new personnel on the preparation, arrangement and plating of dishes per menu;
- Decorate pastries using different icings, toppings, etc to ensure the presentation will be beautiful and exciting;
- Design new menu choices based on seasonal ingredients;
- Create schedules for pastry personnel to ensure optimum resource management and speed of service;
- Maintain a lean and orderly cooking station and adhere to health and safety standards;
- Ensure all personnel are properly equipped with uniforms, supplies and tools.
- Grade 12 & Culinary Diploma;
- Extreme attention to detail;
- Willingness to replenish professional knowledge;
- Preferably 3-4 years previous experience as a Pastry Sous Chef;
- Friendly & Helpful;
- Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (pastries that are gluten free, sugarless, etc);
- Honesty, Flexibility and Accountability;
- Own vehicle and valid driver’s license(non negotiable);
- In depth knowledge of sanitation principles, food preparation and baking techniques and nutrition;
- Organizing and leadership skills;
- Ability to maintain a professional working relationship with all departments and across cultures and religions;
- Excellent use of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and processes Passionate about the hospitality industry;
- Comfortable in dealing with very distinguished clientele.